June 4, 2020
What the New COVID-19 GSE Guidelines Mean for You
As we navigate the impact that COVID-19 has had on our industry, Radian remains dedicated to providing the tools and resources you need to serve borrowers. We have updated our mortgage insurance (MI), title insurance, and real estate services processes to align with COVID-19 GSE announcements and temporary guidelines, and we broadly support borrowers through this hardship through our policies. Here’s a closer look at the changes.
We have implemented temporary flexibilities related to loan origination and closings to support the health and wellbeing of employees, borrowers, and their families. These measures ensure compliance with government safety guidelines and satisfy GSE underwriting documentation requirements.
- Alternatives to traditional property appraisals and interior inspections like exterior-only and desktop appraisals
- Alternatives to verbal verification of employment (VVOE) such as leveraging a year-to-date paystub evidencing a recent payroll deposit
- Powers of attorney flexibilities
- Remote online notarization flexibilities
Many borrowers’ employment and income are being impacted by the economic shutdown, and we strongly encourage lenders to apply thoughtful due diligence for new loan applications.
- Ensure employment, income, and asset verification documentation is dated no more than sixty (60) days from the Note Date.
- If possible, require more recent income documentation and validate employment as close to the loan closing as possible.
- Watch for income and employment documentation that shows that the borrower is furloughed or there is a curtailment in income.
- Confirm that a self-employed borrower’s business is currently operating such as obtaining executed contracts or signed invoices that indicate the business is operating on the day the lender verifies self-employment or current receipts for services performed within 10 days of the Note Date.
- Follow GSE down-payment requirements to liquidate the equity-based asset or discount the value if used for reserves.
- Remember that unemployment benefits can only be used as qualifying income if associated with seasonal employment and that the income of a furloughed borrower is not eligible under the temporary leave income policy.
Don’t forget: Servicers must continue monthly Default and Loss Mitigation reporting to Radian, including loans that miss payments under a COVID-19 related workout.
Use Default Reason Code 12 for all defaults caused by COVID-19-related hardships.
Use the Loss Mitigation Workout codes below for loans in a forbearance plan due to a COVID-19-related hardship.
Radian is here to help as you assist new and existing borrowers during these unprecedented times. For more information, which will be updated as needed, please visit www.radian.com/covid-19 or contact your Radian Account Manager.
Minority Household Growth is an Opportunity for Mortgage Lenders
Read about the growing segment of minority borrowers and see how lenders can better serve their homeownership needs.
7.9% Year-Over-Year Increase in Median Prices According to the New Radian Home Price Index
In data released in September 2019, the Radian Home Price Index (HPI) showed a 7.9 percent year-over-year increase in median values.
Social Distancing Daily Schedule for Loan Officers
Download this infographic of a sample schedule to help LOs get their workday back on track due to social distancing and working from home.
Understanding Alternative Valuation Types
There are a variety of valuation products on the market that vary in complexity. Read more about the different valuation options available.
September 2019 Event Takeaways
Read our key takeaways from all September 2019's big events to help you stay well-informed on the latest trends in the industry.
Top 5 Misconceptions Keeping Millennials from Homeownership
Read how to address the top 5 misconceptions that are keeping Millennials from purchasing their first home.
Tips for Loan Officers Working from Home
Download this infographic that highlights a few tips to help you stay productive while working from home.
5 Work-from-Home Wellness Strategies
Working from home can, over time, leave you feeling down. Check out these five work-from-home wellness strategies to help you cope.
Top Takeaways from the 2019 Structured Finance Industry Group Conference
Read our key takeaways from the 2019 Structured Finance Industry Group conference in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Top Takeaways from the 2019 MBA Annual Convention
Read the top takeaways from the 2019 MBA Annual Convention delivered by the top mortgage and real estate finance industry leaders.